Wanganui Rd at the Shepparton tip will be closed to general traffic on Saturday as a way to ease vehicle queues expected due to waived tip fees.
On the back of long wait times two weeks ago at the Shepparton facility, Greater Shepparton City Council said no traffic would be allowed to travel east along Wanganui Rd from Kittles Rd.
Traffic will only be able to enter Wanganui Rd from the Numurkah Rd end, and reduced speed limits will be enforced between 7 am and 5 pm. In addition, traffic approaching on Numurkah Rd from the north will not be able to turn right into Wanganui Rd.
Traffic exiting the Shepparton tip will be directed west to Rudd Rd.
Council is advising people to plan ahead and be aware of the potential for long queues.
Council said drivers needed to obey traffic signs and follow instructions from traffic controllers.
Infrastructure director Phil Hoare said the council was predicting a large turnout again on Saturday thanks to the waived fees.
“The rate at which customers can deliver waste is restricted by the physical capacity of the Resource Recovery Centre,” Mr Hoare said.
“However the waste team is doing everything possible within the Resource Recovery Centre to smooth out the process.
“Part of the arrangements (with GAME Traffic Management) for the weekend includes the utilisation of space at the DECA site to reduce queuing on the road network."
Saturday, January 25 from 8 am until 4.15 pm.
Sunday, January 26 from 1 pm until 3.45 pm.
Residential quantities are classified as:
- a maximum of 3m3 per load
- a maximum 4 tyres per load
- under 20 litres of Petroleum-based oil
- a maximum of 10 litres of paint
- a maximum of a 9kg gas bottle
- No waste from commercial operators will be accepted.
- No Asbestos, liquids or prescribed waste will be accepted.
- This is not a chemical drop off.
- Loads must be sorted prior to entry to the facility or fees will apply. Greater Shepparton City Council is dedicated to reducing the amount of waste going to landfill, so separating your recyclable waste is mandatory.
- Proof of Greater Shepparton residence (drivers’ licence) will be required.
- Traffic management will be on site. Please follow directions and drive safely.
- No sales will be happening; however, mulch will still be available free of charge.
- Aggressive and/or disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated.
- Gates close at the above times. Any customers still in the queue may not be served.
Free items include:
- Batteries (Household & Car)
- Paint - max 10 litres (Shepparton Only)
- Hair Dryer
- Car Bumper – max 2 (all metal and screws removed)
- Alarm Clock
- Cardboard (clean & flat packed)
- iPads, notebooks & tablets
- Silage wrap (clean & clear bags)
- Electronic toys
- Municipal Waste (less than 1/16 m3 Less than 60ltrs)
- Mobile phones & Accessories (Mobile Muster)
- Garden Waste (less than 1/16 m3 Less than 60ltrs)