Blueberries are not only delicious but have plenty of health benefits too.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has found a significant correlation between lowering heart disease and fresh blueberries.
The double-blind, placebo-controlled study concluded that eating 150g of fresh blueberries daily decreases the risk of heart disease (Australia’s number one killer) by up to 15 per cent.
These findings only add to multiple previous studies showing both brain and heart benefits from the fruit.
So why not add some blueberries to your diet with this turkey salad recipe.
Spiced Freekah, Turkey and Blueberry Salad with Persian Feta
500g turkey breast
1½ cups (300g) freekah, rinsed
4 large handfuls baby spinach, coarsely shredded
½ cup (60g) flaked almonds
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 x 125g punnets blueberries
125g Persian feta, crumbled
¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp caster sugar
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Remove and discard the skin and any sinew from the turkey. Place in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water and gently simmer for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly in the poaching liquid. Transfer turkey onto a plate and refrigerate until completely cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring 3½ cups (875ml) of water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add the freekah, decrease the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until tender and most of the water has been absorbed. Drain and transfer in a medium bowl. Add the spinach and mix to wilt. Spread out onto a tray and set aside to cool.
3. To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon and caster sugar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Melt the butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook for 4–5 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer onto a plate lined with kitchen paper, to drain.
5. Shred the cooled turkey into small strips.
6. Combine the turkey, freekah, onion and blueberries in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
7. Scatter with Persian feta and butter-toasted almonds to serve.