In March, it was announced that traffic lights would be installed at the corner of Goulburn Valley Hwy and Cemetery Rd and the school crossing would be moved to that intersection.
The announcement came after more than six years of advocacy by the school’s parents’ association and other stakeholders for improved safety, after a shocking accident that seriously injured a mother and her three daughters seven years earlier.
There have been several minor collisions at the same spot since, including one in May, following the March announcement.
Final plans and construction timing confirmation was expected in the months following March.
A starting date for works had not been confirmed by the Victorian Department of Transport and Planning on May 15 when The News checked in.
On August 18, a starting date was still not confirmed; however, Department of Transport and Planning Loddon Mallee and Hume executive director Anthony Judd said his department would keep the community informed as the project took shape.
“Planning is progressing on the Goulburn Valley Hwy and Cemetery Rd intersection upgrade, with the project soon to go out to tender,” Mr Judd said.
The $4.55 million project is funded equally by the Victorian and federal governments under the Road Safety Program, with an additional $812,000 contributed by Greater Shepparton City Council.
The traffic lights will replace the existing school crossing, improving visibility for pedestrians crossing the highway, while student pick-up and drop-off zones and school bus services will be relocated to Cemetery Rd, away from highway traffic.
Upgrades will also include expanding a cul-de-sac at the eastern end of Cemetery Rd, enabling vehicles to turn around safely before rejoining the highway, as well as new footpaths and other improvements around the intersection.
A kindergarten that had been scheduled to open at the beginning of this year, which was delayed to next year, has been further delayed to an unconfirmed future date “due to local water infrastructure being at capacity, and additional sewage capacity being needed to enable the kindergarten to be built and operational”, according to a Victorian Department of Education spokesperson earlier this month.
“We’re working with local stakeholders to assess what infrastructure the site needs,” the spokesperson said.
Kialla West Primary School principal Wes Teague said the last communication he’d had about the intersection upgrade suggested works would begin later this year.
He said the crossing upgrade was still a matter of urgency, but that it would be ideal for those works to be completed before construction vehicles involved in the building of the new kindergarten started moving around, despite the school community initially expecting both projects would coincide in order to minimise disruption at the site.
“These things take time, I guess; it’s worth waiting for to ensure it’s done right,” Mr Teague said.