Emergency services responded to the crash on the Goulburn Valley Hwy outside Kialla West Primary School.
Photo by
Rechelle Zammit
Road safety outside Kialla West Primary School has again been raised after a crash between two vehicles during after-school pick-up time.
Hold tight - we’re checking permissions before loading more content
Shafaq Anwar had just picked up her daughters from school when the collision between her SUV and a ute occurred on Tuesday, February 10.
Mrs Anwar had been stopped at a ‘give way’ sign on the road that runs next to the school where many of the parents pull in to pick up their children.
She had been turning back on to the Goulburn Valley Hwy when she said she missed seeing a Holden ute that was travelling south on the highway, as it was behind a car that was turning into the road she was on.
Mrs Anwar accepts she was at fault in the crash, as she was facing the give way sign, but said her crash once again raised concerns about safety for school children in the area.
“It’s about taking safety measures to reduce the chance of human error,” she said.
“In my 10 years of driving in Australia I’ve never got a single infringement ticket.
“But even careful drivers can be at fault sometimes.
“The experience was frightening, particularly with my children in the car, and it has left me questioning how safe this intersection truly is for families.
“As a parent sitting in that car with my children, I realised how little margin for error this intersection allows.”
Mrs Anwar said better road safety measures were needed at the school.
Currently, there are flashing speed signs telling drivers to slow down to 40km/h — from 80km/h — during morning and afternoon school drop-off and pick-up times.
Shafaq Anwar’s car after the crash.
Photo by
Rechelle Zammit
However, Mrs Anwar believes they are not enough, and that some vehicles do not abide by them.
“Even after my accident I’ve seen eight to 10 cars going at about 80km/h in a 40km/h zone during school times,” she said.
She is also concerned about safety of students crossing the road at the pedestrian crossing, an issue that has been raised by those involved with the school for years.
Advocacy began for a pedestrian underpass after a frightening accident that seriously injured a mother and her three daughters outside the school seven years ago,
In September 2024, the Victorian Government announced an underpass was “not a viable option”, and nothing has been done since.
Mrs Anwar believes proactive measures such as traffic lights, improved enforcement of speed limits, or intersection redesign, should be seriously considered to make the area safer for everyone.
“Many people are in a rush and don’t pay attention to the (40km/h) signage,” she said.
“All the families are at risk at that intersection.
“Why are we waiting?
“It’s about children’s safety.
“My daughter was sitting in the back (of the car), directly behind me.
“I cannot imagine if the car had hit her — I would never have forgiven myself.
“I was lucky nobody got hurt.”
Mrs Anwar said the issue was not about assigning blame for a single accident, rather recognising a broader safety issue.
“A primary school should not feel unsafe during peak child movement times,” she said.
Mrs Anwar has brought up her concerns with state Member for Northern Victoria Wendy Lovell, who said she planned on raising the issue in parliament on Tuesday, February 17.