FFA Cup | South and Tatura stay alive

By Alex Mitchell

Shepparton South and Tatura handed out five-goal floggings to kick off the FFA Cup on Saturday.

Both are headed through to the second qualifying round after 5-0 away wins, the Southerners thumping Mount Martha, while the Ibises cruised past Old Melburnians.

And their path to the first main round was laid out in yesterday's Cup draw, South to host the Melton Phoenix, while Tatura will welcome Falcons 2000 to Ibisland.

Should the sides win again, South would travel to face the winner of Ballarat North United and South East United in the first round, while Tatura would host Noble Park.

Tatura was ahead inside the first five minutes of its trip to Gardiners Park Reserve, with a driven effort from Cody Sellwood finding the back of the net.

But the next goal would not come easily despite the Ibises creating a number of opportunities, a missed tap-in from Craig Rennie shortly before the hour-mark possibly the biggest chance gone begging.

But Rennie would not need to wait much longer for his first competitive goal for Tatura after crossing from league rival Eaglehawk, slotting a penalty in the 63rd minute for 2-0.

But having cracked the Melburnians open, the goals began to flow with Charlie Maude capitalising on a calamitous mix-up between defender and goalkeeper to make it 3-0, before a ridiculous own goal produced a fourth.

And Rennie doubled up for a little icing on the cake, tapping home at the back stick to complete the five-goal win.

Coach Tristan Zito was pleased with what his side had produced in its first real test of the year.

“It was solid, although we probably should have put about 10 past them,” he said.

“We weren't really in any danger of conceding, so I was happy with that, but we did miss a few chances.

“We jelled nicely and it was good to have Rennie score a couple of goals. Sean (Grant) hasn't been cleared yet, so he wasn't in the team, but we hope to have him Saturday.”

Meanwhile in Mount Martha, South also did not have long to wait to take the lead, with Joel Aitken netting in the 12th minute.

And a quickfire two goals in two minutes from Aitken and Shaun Kane allowed South to head to half-time 3-0 to the good and in complete control.

New signing Remell Davis scored his first goal for the club in the 65th minute, before Kabir Kareem completed the drubbing in the 73rd minute.

The second qualifying round matches are penciled in for this Saturday.