PDFL | reserves grand final | Blighty outplays Waaia

By Alex Mitchell

In blistering Berrigan sun, Blighty’s reserves put in a premiership-winning performance to match the conditions - shining bright and damn hot.

A first-half barrage that carried the Redeyes to a huge advantage against Waaia meant they could relax and enjoy their grand final triumph, winning by an impressive 65 points.

But a post-match stoush marred the contest, with a stack of players involved in a physical altercation after the final siren, with tension boiling past a typical football scuffle into the realms of a genuine fight.

The main instigators were separated after about a two-minute ruckus, when Blighty would resume celebrating a ripping win.

The Redeyes were an unstoppable force with 10 goals to two in the first half, slicing and dicing their way through the Bomber defence with their forwards able to reap the rewards.

Waaia did lift, looking a different side after the half with a much sturdier attack on the ball netting it the quarter's first three goals, before Redeye Ash Bain steadied his side from a silly downfield free kick.

And at the quarter’s end, any scoreboard damage had been undone with the margin back to 51 points, with two quick-fire goals to start the final term getting the party back started.

Beau Close was a huge factor with seven majors, while midfield bull Tyler Amor-Beale was constantly bursting through packs, with no wonder as to how it was he that finished the game bloodied and bruised after a head clash in the third term.

And midfielder Josh Peers was also on his game, with two goals and general excellence earning him the best-on-ground nod.

Blighty coach Kyel Bain was ecstatic his side had brought the heat necessary to take care of a more than capable Waaia outfit.

"It's pretty bloody exciting at the moment. The boys did bloody well, they've played pretty good footy for the last month, and I'm just mostly proud really," Bain said. 

"I thought we needed to get a good start, Waaia's been a good side each time we've played them.

"We got the good start we wanted and we just tried to pressure their ball carriers, I think we did that pretty well."

The Redeyes had finished fifth on the ladder, but reeled off four straight wins to lift the trophy, the first football premiership the club has secured since 2000.

Bain paid tribute to his hard-working players, beloved club and tolerating family.

"It's a great bunch of blokes, it's my first time at senior level coaching, and it's been real enjoyable now," he said.

"It's great, especially with the drought and no water around, it's been good to see everyone with smiles on their faces. Everyone's up and about.

"I've got to thank my wife and kids for putting with me the last month - it's just been footy, footy, footy."