This month, GOTAFE’s hospitality students are sharing the secrets of their Piccalilli with Pear recipe. This one is definitely worth the wait.
GOTAFE’S PICCALILLI WITH PEAR
450g each of pickling onions, peeled; cauliflower florets; de-seeded cucumber; and topped and tailed French beans
3 pears, peeled, cored and diced
340g coarse rock salt
750ml white malt vinegar
1 tbsp each of English mustard powder, ground ginger and ground turmeric
1 tbsp whole yellow mustard seeds
2 cloves garlic, chopped
175g light muscovado sugar
2-3 tbsp cornflour
1. Put the vegetables into a non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the top, toss together, cover and leave in a cool place for 12 hours.
2. The next day put the vinegar into a large saucepan or preserving pan, add the spices and bring to the boil.
3. Drain the vegetables and rinse well under running water for 3-5 minutes. Add to the simmering vinegar, cook over a low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the sugar and continue to simmer for a further 1-2 minutes.
4. Mix 2 tbsp of cornflour with a little water and blend into the hot vegetables. Bring back to the boil and cook for a further minute, the mixture should be glossy and thick. Add the remaining cornflour in the same way if necessary.
5. Remove the piccalilli from the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes. Spoon into the hot jars and cover with a disc of wax paper and a screw-top lid, wipe the jars and label.
6. Store in a cool dark place for 3-4 weeks before eating.
Located in Shepparton, Wangaratta and Seymour, GOTAFE’s fully licensed training restaurants are open to the public for lunch and dinner throughout the year.
For more information phone 1300 GOTAFE (468 233) or visit the GOTAFE website.