News

House fire in Shepparton caused by overheating fan

By Ashlea Witoslawski

CFA attended a structure fire at Kennedy Rd, Shepparton at 8.16pm last night. 

The incident occured in the roof directly above the bathroom, caused by an overheating fan. 

10 people were evacutated from the home, including a one-year-old.

No injuries were sustianed by the residents. 

Shepparton Fire Brigade senior station officer Mark Valance said emergency accomodation was organised for the residents, due to a loss of electricity and gas caused by the fire damage. 

"It was not a large fire and took 10 minutes to bring under control," he said. 

"However, we stayed on scene for a number of hours to extinguish any hot spots."

Mr Valance said it is important to make sure exhaust fans are not running continuously. 

"Ensure you’ve got a working smoke alarm and if you have exhaust fans ensure they’re not running continuously," he said.

"They're not designed to run for long periods of time."