Man faces court

May 17, 2017

Tatura police station was badly damaged when a car reversed into it.

A police officer inspects damage to Tatura police station in March last year.

A man who deliberately rammed his car into Tatura police station last year acted out of an intoxicated rage, a Shepparton court has heard.

Brett Ivermee, 57, turned himself in months after he was questioned for his involvement in the incident, despite investigators being unable to pinpoint a perpetrator.

The Tatura man lived with his wife and worked as a labourer at a nearby orchard before running into family issues.

Ivermee was arrested in March 2016 in relation to a domestic incident and failed to appear in court, before an intervention order was granted to his estranged wife.

More than a week after his court appearance on March 18, Ivermee drank himself into a state of intoxication before losing his money at the pokies, police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Kim Thomson told Shepparton Magistrates’ Court.

He then drove to the unmanned Tatura police station where he mounted the curb and backed at speed into the building’s front window and doors, causing more than $34000 worth of damage.

The building’s entry doors and windows, surrounding frames, front counter and internal walls were damaged.

The scene was discovered by a local about 3am, leading police to embark on a surveillance-led pursuit.

Driven by a fear of his eventual capture, Ivermee confessed three months after he was initially questioned, when police attempted to match his car to CCTV images.

Defence lawyer Emma King said Ivermee had dealt with a number of anger, familial and alcohol issues and his eventual admission to police should have been taken into account during sentencing.

She said Ivermee had begun to address factors in his life which contributed to his offending, and continued to seek rectitude through mental and physical health, community and correctional services.

Ivermee made a plea of guilty to a criminal damage charge and breach of a community corrections order.

He will be sentenced at Shepparton Magistrates’ Court on June 15.

More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text