World

NY Prosecutors bid to up Weinstein’s bail

By AAP Newswire

Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has at times failed to wear a required electronic tracking device, New York prosecutors said on Friday, asking a judge to increase his bail to $US5 million ($A7.3 million), from $US1 million, as he awaits trial on sexual assault charges.

Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi made the request at a hearing before Judge James Burke in Manhattan state court.

She said Weinstein had failed to wear an electronic transmitter that works in tandem with his ankle bracelet on "numerous" occasions.

"It is the people's position that none of those 'bracelet gone' violations were accidental," she said.

Weinstein's lawyer, Donna Rotunno, said the violations were a "technical" problem and that her client had never tried to flee, arguing that there was no need to increase his bail.

She noted that he had always appeared on time for every court date.

Burke did not make a decision, but scheduled another hearing on the issue for next Wednesday.

Weinstein, 67, has pleaded not guilty to charges that he sexually assaulted two women, one in 2006 and another in 2013. His trial is scheduled to begin on January 6, 2020.

Weinstein could face a life sentence if found guilty. Justice James Burke, who is presiding over the case, last week denied Weinstein's bid to dismiss some of the charges.