National

Claremont serial killings trial delayed

By AAP Newswire

The start of the trial for the accused Claremont serial killer has been pushed back one week.

Bradley Robert Edwards, 50, was scheduled to face a nine-month trial but on Monday pleaded guilty to five of the eight charges, including twice raping a 17-year-old girl at a Perth cemetery in 1995 and attacking an 18-year-old woman as she slept in her home in 1988.

He maintains he is not guilty of murdering Sarah Spiers, 18, Jane Rimmer, 23, and Ciara Glennon, 27, between 1996 and 1997.

At a pre-trial hearing in the West Australian Supreme Court on Tuesday, Justice Stephen Hall said the trial would start on November 25.

On Monday the court was told the plea changes would cut the length of the trial, previously expected to last nine months, by at least three months.