Queensland's fire crews are struggling to get the upper hand at a dangerous fire on the Sunshine Coast that's forced more than 5000 people from their homes.
The unrelenting bushfire crisis across her tinder-dry state has prompted Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to cut short an overseas mission to return to Queensland.
Eight fires are in the scope of a police taskforce to investigate the blazes, which have destroyed 17 houses across the state and damaged 67 others.
The most dangerous bushfire on Tuesday is a destructive blaze at Peregian on the Sunshine Coast that may have been lit by teens.
More than 5000 people from about 2500 homes were evacuated on Monday night while flames jumping across backyards and roads terrified residents.
Noosa Mayor Tony Wellington warned them on Tuesday night that it was still too dangerous to go home.
"We are not out of the woods yet, unfortunately, although there has been massive air bombing going on the fire still is threatening the Weyba Downs area."
Forty homes were evacuated at Weyba Downs on Tuesday, just inland from the hard-hit Peregian Beach area, as winds picked up.
So far just two homes are confirmed destroyed at Peregian, with up to 10 other properties damaged.
Residents like Robert Campbell were stopped by authorities while returning from dinner on Monday night and told to flee. He still hasn't seen his home.
"It's surreal, I won't know the damage until we find out," Mr Campbell told AAP on Tuesday.
The fire affecting Peregian Beach, Peregian Breeze Estate and south of Lake Weyba remains extremely volatile.
Acting premier Jackie Trad said it was "nothing short of a miracle" more homes weren't lost.
Some 80 fires were burning in the state at one point on Tuesday as conditions worsened in the afternoon.
The Bureau of Meteorology expects the fire danger to drop to 'high' across much of the state on Wednesday and Thursday due to more moderate winds and higher humidity.
But conditions could worsen into the weekend due to a rise in temperatures.
'Prepare to leave' warnings are in place for residents north of the fire front.
"The frustration, the angst, the uncertainty. You could just see it written all over their faces. These are really trying times," acting Sunshine Coast mayor Tim Dwyer said.
There was better news from the Gold Coast hinterland fire that forced residents to abandon their homes over the weekend.
"This is an afternoon of good news," Scenic Rim Mayor Greg Christensen declared on Tuesday.
"The wind has behaved very kindly to us, and we've been able to tell community members who have been displaced that they can now return home for the most part."
For some, there won't be much to return to, but many others have been spared from the destruction.
Eight homes and five commercial structures have been destroyed including the 86-year-old, heritage-listed Binna Burra Lodge, while three houses are severely damaged.
The fire there is now under control, but could burn for weeks or longer before much-needed rain puts it out.
Some aspects have authorities a little concerned, but they are working to strengthen containment lines while there is a gap in the weather.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has paid tribute to emergency services personnel, volunteers and residents who have worked together in the face of the ongoing threat.