Local organisations ready to help with exemptions

By Andrew Johnston

EXEMPTIONS will be a necessity for travel across the border between NSW and Victoria.

Currently, all applications must be filled out online through Service NSW's website.

For those who do not have access to a computer, a number of facilities in town will be able to provide assistance.

Murray River Council

Murray River Council released this statement regarding where residents could get help:

“Staff at council’s Customer Service Centres, along with Home Support offices will be available to help residents navigate the online permit application process if they do not have access to the internet.

“Residents should be aware that social distancing requirements are still in place and only a certain amount of customers can be seen at any one time, including general council and Transport for NSW enquiries.

“We appreciate the community’s patience during this time.”

Campaspe Shire Council

Campaspe Shire Council's general manager of development Paul McKenzie said one of the shire's major resources would be available.

“The Echuca Library is currently operating in line with COVID restricted numbers and social distancing requirements,” he said.

“The library has PCs available for public use and can be booked on arrival.

“While staff support to assist customers in completing an online permit is limited, staff will assist where possible.”

Echuca Neighbourhood House

Manager Sarah Peake said once the form was available, staff would be on hand to help.

“We are offering face-to-face appointments for residents who need some help,” she said.

“You can book an appointment by calling us on 5482 6914, and you'll be required to meet with our COVID process when you come in such as sanitising and social distancing, but we will be able to use our computers and internet to get you set up.”


CLRS chief executive Leah Taaffe said staff would be ready to help their clients as soon as permits were available.

“At the moment we have issued letters to staff stating they work for us and what they do so they can cross into Moama and perform their job,” she said.

“Once more details are available we will be able to help out or clients in applying for the permits, they can contact us as usual and we can help them out.”


Chief executive Scott Alexander said Vivid was ready to help its clients with anything they needed.

“Helping our clients with government-related things are something we have always been set up for,” he said.

“We have clients and programs which run across the borders, so we will be looking into every way to make as much of that run as we can. That will be both helping clients get their exemptions and ways to make sure our staff can move around and fulfil their roles.”