The Telstra outage in Deniliquin on Thursday is expected to be the last the community will have to endure as part of mobile phone coverage upgrades.
But we’ve been told that before.
Last week’s intermittent outages were the third block of outages since December.
While service was in and out at various times during the week, Telstra mobile customers and EFTPOS machines were not working for about six hours on Thursday.
A Telstra spokesperson said ‘‘there are no planned outages or upgrades’’ in the near future.
The outages again affected businesses who use a 3G or 4G network connection, just two months after it was reported that December’s outages were expected to be the last.
During the December upgrades, customers were not notified of a five hour plus outage until after the service connection was restored.
Deniliquin Business Chamber executive officer Lauren Ryan said that while Thursday’s outages were not ideal, the communication from Telstra was slightly better this time around.
“Telstra contacted us 10 days prior to the outages to let us know about the upgrades,” she said.
“We were advised that mobile outages could be happening for a week, so it wasn’t as bad as we first thought it would be.
“But I can’t speak for all businesses as I have heard that some were not aware of the outages.