Smoke fills Deni home

By Olivia Duffey

A camp cooker stove has been ruled as the cause of Friday's house fire in Henry St.

The stove was allegedly left on a coffee table in the living room. It started a fire about 2.12pm.

Deniliquin Fire and Rescue NSW Captain Martin Smith said home only suffered smoke damage, but that it could have been a lot worse.

“On arrival smoke was venting from the windows and the occupant was out of the building,” he said.

“Firefighters entered the building wearing breathing apparatus and equipped with a charged line of hose and a thermal imaging camera.

“A small fire was located in the lounge room and extinguished before the rest of the residence was checked and ventilated.

“Gas detection was conducted before the incident was handed over to police.

“The resident was taken to Deniliquin Hospital by Ambulance officers for possible smoke inhalation.”

The Pastoral Times believes the 70 year-old male occupant was admitted to hospital overnight as a precaution.

“He was very lucky the fire was found and extinguished while it was fairly small,” Capt Smith said.

“All fires can have a devastating effect on property and people, so I urge everyone to have a home fire safety checklist.

“Some things you can do now include never leaving cooking or any other open flame, including candles or oil burners, unattended.

“But the first step in your home fire safety plan should be to install an adequate number of suitable smoke alarms and test them regularly.”