Eagles stun Port with after-siren AFL win

By AAP Newswire

West Coast's Jeremy McGovern has kicked a goal after the final siren to steal a four-point AFL win against an injury-cursed Port Adelaide.

McGovern converted a set shot from about 40 metres to deliver a 9.8 (62) to 9.4 (58) victory on Saturday at Adelaide Oval.

The Power were cruelled by injury: key forward Charlie Dixon's season is over because of a suspected broken ankle, All Australian ruckman Paddy Ryder will likely miss matches because of a hip injury and Dan Houston was knocked out.

McGovern's goal came from the almost identical spot to teammate Luke Shuey's match-winning major against Port after extra-time final siren in last year's elimination final.

Eagles coach Adam Simpson watched McGovern's match-winning kick from the crowd - just as he did with Shuey last year - and described the similarity as "silly".

"I stood in exactly the same spot as I did in the final," Simpson said.

"I left the box, got halfway down (to the boundary), getting some pretty good feedback from the Port crowd as I was there.

"(The kick) was a little bit of a flour bag to start with, which Gov tends to throw around every now and then. But it straightened itself up, I thought initially it was trailing right."

Port coach Ken Hinkley had a sinking feeling of history repeating when McGovern took aim.

"I have got a couple of pictures now courtesy of West Coast Eagles that I will wake up in the middle of the night, horrified and screaming," Hinkley said.

Port was in control, leading by 28 points 10 minutes into the third quarter, when injuries struck.

Ryder hobbled off with a hip flexor injury - just two weeks after returning from the same ailment - then Dixon and Houston were hurt within 20 seconds.

Dixon's right ankle twisted horribly in a marking contest and he was helped off by trainers as Houston was being stretchered off after colliding with Eagle Brendon Ah Chee.

From that time, Port could muster just another two points as the Eagles kicked the last four goals to overcome a 15-point three quarter-time deficit.

"They were surging," Hinkley said.

"It felt like it was going to get stolen."

West Coast blew a series of goal chances before a Mark LeCras major put them within two points with 43 seconds remaining.

McGovern then marked a scrambled Scott Lycett kick with 20 seconds to go, before converting after the siren.

The victory means the second-placed Eagles can't drop out of the top four entering the finals.

The Power cling to seventh position but could slide outside the top eight by round's end.