AAP Rugby

Warriors lose Vete but retain coaches

By AAP Newswire

The Warriors have released prop Albert Vete from their playing roster while extending the contracts of two assistant coaches.

The Auckland NRL club says Stacey Jones and Tony Iro will remain in their assistant roles until the end of the 2020 season.

Arguably the club's greatest player, former halfback Jones was appointed an assistant coach when Stephen Kearney took charge as head coach last year.

Iro joined them this season, having previously held a number of different posts at the Warriors.

Vete was granted a release before the June 30 transfer deadline, "to continue his career in Australia", a Warriors statement said.

The 25-year-old Tongan international has been linked with the Melbourne Storm but a move there is yet to be confirmed.

Vete has struggled to nail down regular selection since his debut in 2015, playing 46 first grade games.

He's appeared just twice this season.