AN ECHUCA man is behind bars after allegedly doing more than double the speed limit during a police chase in Rochester last week.
Leading Senior Constable Frank Scopelliti of Campaspe Highway Patrol said police tried to stop the 20-year-old who was driving along Lowry St, Rochester, last Friday.
However, he allegedly sped off, reaching speeds between 130-150km/h in a 60km/h zone.
‘‘The vehicle overtook other cars on the left side (shoulder of road) and right side (wrong side of road), causing other road users to take evasive action,’’ Snr Constable Scopelliti said.
‘‘The driving was extremely dangerous and it was a miracle that no person was seriously injured or killed.’’
A male passenger was in the car with him at the time.
Kade William Mongta was arrested later that day and charged with dangerous driving while pursued by police, dangerous speed, dangerous driving, evading police, unlicensed driving, using an unregistered car and contravening bail conditions.
After facing Bendigo Magistrates Court via videolink on Monday, Mongta was remanded in custody to appear in Echuca Magistrates Court on July 3.
■A MAN who drove three times without a licence has been given six weeks to finally get one before he is sentenced.
Matthew Hammer appeared in Echuca Magistrates Court charged with three counts of unlicensed driving and was willing to plead guilty but magistrate Patrick Southey adjourned it off.
‘‘You have been driving in Victoria for years without a licence,’’ Mr Southey said.
‘‘On the face of this you are facing really serious charges but there has never been an issue with the manner in which you drive — you simply need a licence.’’
The matter was adjourned to the same court on July 31 with hopes Hammer would have a probationary licence by then.
‘‘Police will not tolerate this type of behaviour on our roads,’’ Snr Constable Scopelliti said.
He warned others who drove in this manner, that it was only a matter of time before they would be caught and put in jail.