News

Flood clean-up continues

by
May 28, 2018

Before and after: Flood recovery works are rolling out across the Strathbogie Shire to recover infrastructure damaged in the December flood event. Siems Rd works have started, these pictures illustrating a section of road before and after works.

Before and after: Flood recovery works are rolling out across the Strathbogie Shire to recover infrastructure damaged in the December flood event. Siems Rd works have started, these pictures illustrating a section of road before and after works.

Almost six months on the clean-up continues following massive flooding across Strathbogie Shire.

December’s flood event saw more than $5million worth of damage done to the shire’s roads, bridges and other infrastructure.

It followed more than 221mm of rain across the region with Strathbogie and Euroa receiving most of the downpour on December 2 and 3.

In March, council announced early works would focus on addressing identified risks to community safety, improving access to properties and to support business activities.

Last week, it was revealed minor and major flood recovery works were pressing on, with a program of works for the next six weeks scheduled.

Strathbogie Shire Council’s community assets director Roy Hetherington said it was great to be able to start works packages to restore the shire’s damaged infrastructure.

‘‘Now that works are under way, council is able to communicate more information about the planned timing of works,’’ Mr Hetherington said.

Works to Horse Gully and Siems Rds have started, with repairs to Sugarloaf, Mt Wombat, Heals and Walker Rds set to start in the next fortnight.

Mr Hetherington said the council appreciated the patience and understanding of the community during the works.

‘‘Particularly directly affected residents, throughout the assessment, scoping and procurement phases and we are very excited to now be able to deliver the construction phase,’’ he said.

‘‘We are developing a program which our contractors will deliver over the coming months and we will continue to keep the community informed on commencement and completion of works on roads as we progress through the program.’’

Peak construction was expected to take place through to June. In March, council had estimated most works would be completed by the end of June.

At the time, council released a tender package for up to $5million worth of infrastructure recovery works.

It made a Natural Disaster Funding claim to State Treasury for the damage to essential assets.

The assessment phase of the flood recovery found more than 1000 defects to essential public assets across the shire.

‘‘A revised cost estimate of $7million damage to essential public assets has been identified and the majority of works are expected to be completed over the next six months,’’ a statement said.

By
More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text