Goulburn-Murray Water is warning the public to avoid direct contact with water in Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir after monitoring detected high levels of blue-green algae.
Warning signs will be positioned at major recreational areas around Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir and will remain in place while high levels of blue-green algae are present. Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir will not be closed to the public.
G-MW recommends water users from Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir seek an alternative water supply.
You can still sight-see and enjoy other activities at Lake Eppalock and Cairn Curran Reservoir that do not involve direct contact with the water.
- People and pets do not enter the water.
- People who come into contact with affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean cold water.
- Seeking an alternative water supply for stock and pets.
- Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe for these purposes.
- Reading G-MW’s fact sheet and other information on blue green algae at G-MW’s blue-green algae webpage (www.g-mwater.com.au/bluegreenalgae-alert) to be informed of the risks.