Emergency services alerted people to a hazardous gas leak at Dohnt and Federation streets in Nathalia this morning.
Firefighters were called to the scene around 11am following reports of the smell of gas.
Four CFA vehicles responded to the incident which was brought under control at 11.37am.
People in the vicinity were advised to close windows and doors, and turn off heating and cooling systems, and pilot lights to external hot water services and pumps.
Nearby McDonald street was closed and people were being asked to avoid the area while emergency services dealt with the problem.
Investigations continue into the source of the leak.