A mother of two young children has been left devastated after fire tore through their family home in Campbell Crt, Mooroopna, on Monday night.
‘‘I’m still at a loss for words, it’s just shattering,’’ Tracey Atkinson, who lived in the house for 10 years, said.
Eight Country Fire Authority units battled the blaze for nearly 30 minutes, but could do little with the home completely destroyed.
‘‘Although it’s devastating, we’re just thankful we’re alive to tell the tale,’’ Ms Atkinson said.
‘‘The community’s support to this date has been amazing and we are so thankful.’’
A CFA spokesperson said the blaze began from a candle flame under a curtain that spread throughout the house.
‘‘I had the front door open and a gust of wind blew the flames onto the curtain and it went up instantly,’’ Ms Atkinson said.
‘‘I got myself and my two daughters, (aged) eight and nine, out as quickly as I could.’’
Ms Atkinson said in the past few days numerous friends and family had given her supermarket vouchers and clothes for herself and her children.
‘‘The community support has been overwhelming. A church from Melbourne donated a food voucher and Mooroopna Primary School have been helping the kids with uniforms,’’ she said.
‘‘Hopefully Aboriginal housing will give us some temporary accommodation soon, so we so should be okay.’’
To donate to the family’s gofundme page, visit gofundme.com/helping-a-family-through-tragedy