News

Family home goes up in flames

by
November 30, 2016

The home of a young family was destroyed by fire in Mooroopna on Monday night after fire spread from a burning candle under a curtain.

A Country Fire Authority spokesperson said eight units were called to the blaze in Campbell Crt, Mooroopna, just before 8pm.

‘‘When crews arrived the home was fully alight and three people were evacuated without injury,’’ the spokesperson said.

‘‘Crews battled the blaze for quite some time before it was brought under control around 8.30pm.’’

Neighbour Graham Turvey, who lives in the house adjoining the property, said he heard a window exploding just as he was going to bed.

‘‘My wife said there was a fire outside, so I grabbed the garden hose and did what little I could (to save my neighbour’s property),’’ he said.

‘‘But the flames were 3m to 4m above the house, smoke was everywhere and before I knew it, the roof collapsed.’’

Mr Turvey, who had his two young children at home at the time, said the incident was quite scary as flames came close to his home.

‘‘My two girls stood on the street and there was thick black smoke everywhere,’’ he said.

By
More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text